This cranberry orange bread is a great addition to your holiday baking list. It is fresh, sweet, and beautiful! The cranberries give the bread a nice tart flavor, while the oranges provide a hint of sweetness. Not to mention, it is one of the prettiest holiday baking creations!
This bread would make the perfect homemade Christmas gift for a friend, neighbor, or coworker! The cranberries give it the most festive color!
What makes this cranberry orange bread healthy?
- Baking bread and other holiday treats can be a great way to practice a few of the “healthy swaps” that I preach about. One easy way to make any baked good a little healthier is to swap vegetable or canola oil for coconut oil! Not only does it give it a better flavor, but it is a real food. Canola oil and other hydrogenated oils are highly toxic. Make the switch today!
- This recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. Most breads or baked goods call for double, triple, or even quadruple that! And here is a little baking secret… you don’t need it! Fruit contains natural sugars, which work to sweeten the bread. You can use white sugar or coconut sugar in this recipe.
- I made my own buttermilk for this recipe. It is extremely easy and quick to make. I tested this recipe with almond milk. Let me know if you use anything different!
About the Icing:
This icing is extremely simple and gives this cranberry orange bread an even greater taste of orange. Feel free to use whatever icing you want for this bread. Just make sure that it has a thinner consistency!
Other Christmas Treats:
- Healthy Buckeye Balls
- Peppermint Protein Balls
- 5 Minute Freezer Fudge (you can find that on my Instagram)
Stay tuned for much more this month!
Cranberry Orange Bread
- 8×4 loaf pan
For the bread:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of one large orange
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and orange zest. Rub it together with your fingers and then pour into the flour mixture.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the eggs, oil, orange juice, vanilla, and almond milk mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into an 8×4 parchment lined loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.