This creamy Mexican lasagna soup is so incredibly delicious! It has all of the flavors of a typical lasagna, but in soup form. The mixture of cheeses gives it the perfect creamy consistency. This creamy Mexican lasagna soup is warming, comforting, and the perfect soup for chilly January nights!
What makes this creamy Mexican Lasagna Soup healthy?
I love “made from scratch” soups. There is just something so nourishing about seeing every single ingredient go into the soup. I also love that most of the flavor from this soup comes from the veggies! Onions, red bell peppers, and celery are a flavorful trio.
The most flavorful ingredient is definitely the spicy sausage. I love to cook the spicy sausage separately so that I can drain all of the grease.
I use chicken bone broth in this soup. Feel free to use whatever kind of bone broth is your favorite. I am sure it would be delicious with beef bone broth, although I have not tested that combination yet. Let me know if you do!
If you want to make this soup gluten free, make sure to use gluten free lasagna noodles! Jovial is a great gluten free pasta!
- If you love pasta, like me, then you should add 10-12 lasagna noodles. If you are not a huge fan of pasta, then I suggest adding 8-10. I always add 10 lasagna noodles, and that is more than enough for me!
- Cooking the lasagna noodles in a separate pot as the soup is a must! They will soak up too much liquid if you cook them in the same pot.
- Only cook the noodles until they are al dente. You want them to be a little firm when you put them in the soup. They will continue to cook a little bit once they are in the soup.
- I love to top this soup with shaved parmesan cheese. The more the merrier!
More delicious soups:
Creamy Mexican Lasagna Soup
- Soup pot
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. spicy Italian ground sausage
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. crushed red tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 10 lasagna noodles
- Start by adding the olive oil, diced bell pepper, onion, and celery to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Cook until the veggies are softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic in and cook for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your sausage in a separate pan. Be sure to drain as much grease as possible.
- Add the cooked sausage to the soup pot, along with the crushed tomatoes, black beans, tomato paste, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and italian seasoning. Stir together and then add the bone broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a seperate pot until they are al dente, or slightly firm.
- Add the noodles to the soup pot and allow the soup to sit on low for 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup in bowls with extra parmesan on top!