These air fryer jalapeño poppers are a healthier alternative to a deep fried popper. I love dishes with jalapeños in them (see my popular Stuffed Bacon Cheddar Jalapeño Chicken Breasts). The bacon and cheddar flavors pair perfectly with the spice of the jalapeño. The bacon is optional, but it helps to contribute to the savoriness of the poppers. These poppers are the perfect Memorial Day appetizer!
I love the crisp that the air fryer gives these jalapeño poppers. The breadcrumbs will start to brown, the cheese will melt, and the pepper will cook down… all in 6 minutes in the air fryer! If you have a smaller air fryer, you may have to cook these in two separate batches. If you do not have an air fryer, you can bake in the oven or grill. Although, neither of those options will give the jalapeño poppers the nice crisp that the air fryer gives them.
The breadcrumbs are a necessary part of this dish. The brand does not matter, but the smaller the better. Use whatever you have on hand! If you are looking for a healthier panko option, try these from Thrive Market!
- 6 medium sized jalapeño peppers
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Slice the jalapeños in half and deseed them.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar, garlic powder, onion powder, and crumbed bacon. Stir until well-incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and breadcrumbs.
- Take each jalapeño half and fill it mostly full with the cream cheese mixture.
- Cover the top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place in the air fryer in a single layer and air fry for 6 minutes.