Fruit crisps are some of my favorite desserts to make, and this berry crumble is no exception! This berry crumble uses strawberries and blueberries, but you could easily substitute with raspberries or blackberries. It is the perfect dessert to have on hand for Memorial Day Weekend! The berries give it a beautiful patriotic color. You can top it with ice cream, making it a lovely dessert for your next cookout or lake weekend!
It is free of refined sugar and is naturally sweetened with the fruit, maple syrup, and coconut sugar. You can make it gluten free by using certified GF oats. I used almond flour in this recipe because it gives the crumble the most perfect texture.
I clearly love this recipe! However, the best part is that there is more than enough of the crumble part. In my experience, there usually is not enough crumble or crisp to go along with the fruit. The proportions for this recipe are spot-on. There is enough crumble for every bite!
For the filling:
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. coconut sugar
For the crumble:
- 1 cup oats (can be gluten free)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 5 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup (I get mine at Costco!)
- Prepare a cast iron skillet by greasing it with coconut oil or nonstick cooking spray (I used a 10-inch).
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the strawberries, blueberries, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and coconut sugar until the berries are completely coated.
- In another bowl, mix together the oats, almond flour, coconut sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add in the melted butter, almond butter, vanilla, and maple syrup. Mix with a fork until the crumble starts to form.
- Pour the berry mixture into the cast iron skillet and then sprinkle the crumble topping on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 or until the crust starts to look golden brown.
- Serve the berry crumble with ice cream, whipped cream, or cool whip. Store in the refrigerator.
If you have not already tried my Almond Butter Brownies, you need to check them out! They are another great summer dessert.